NCC Organization Punjab has 4 NCC Group Headquarters located at Patiala, Jalandhar, Ludhiana and Amritsar and 30 NCC units are working under their command. Group wise names of NCC units are as under:
- NCC Group Headquarter Patiala
1. 3 Punjab Air Sqn NCC Patiala
2. 5 Punjab Bn NCC Patiala
3. 4 Punjab Girls Bn NCC Patiala
4. 1 Punjab Naval Unit NCC Naya Nangal
5. 14 Punjab Bn NCC Nabha
6. 20 Punjab Bn NCC Bathinda
7. 3 Punjab Indep Coy NCC Ropar
- NCC Group Headquarter Ludhiana
1. 3 Punjab Bn NCC Ludhiana
2. 3 Punjab Girls Bn NCC Ludhiana
3. 19 Punjab Bn NCC Ludhiana
4. 4 Punjab Air Sqn NCC Ludhiana
5. 1 Punjab R & V Sqn NCC Ludhiana
6. 5 Punjab Girls Bn NCC Moga
7. 13 Punjab Bn NCC Ferozepur
8. 2 Punjab Indep Coy NCC Abohar
- NCC Group Headquarter Jallandhar
1. 2 Punjab Bn NCC Jalandhar
2. 2 Punjab Girls Bn NCC Jalandhar
3. 1 Punjab Air Sqn NCC Jalandhar
4. 8 Punjab Bn NCC Phagwara
5. 12 Punjab Bn NCC Hoshiarpur
6. 21 Punjab Bn NCC Kapurthala
7. Sanik School Kapurthala
- NCC Group Headquarter Amritsar
1. 1 Punjab Bn NCC Amritsar
2. 11 Punjab Bn NCC Amritsar
3. 1 Punjab Arty Bty NCC Amritsar
4. 2 Punjab Air Sqn NCC Amritsar
5. 1 Punjab Girls Bn NCC Amritsar
6. 2 Punjab Naval Unit NCC Amritsar
7. 7 Punjab Bn NCC Gurdaspur
8. 22 Punjab Bn NCC Batala
Cadet Strength : NCC imparts training to 50000 cadets of 375 schools and 230 colleges in the state.
Civil Staff : The number of sanctioned posts of State Civil Staff is 624.
Defence Staff : The number of sanctioned posts of Defence Staff is 496.
Types of Camps : NCC organizes the following types of camps :
1. Annual Training Camps
2. Central Camps
3. Pre-RDC Camp
4. RDC Camp
Motto of NCC: ‘ Unity and Discipline’
Aims of NCC:
To develop character, comradership, discipline, leadership, secular outlook, spirit of adventure and the ideals of selfless service amongst the youth of the country.
To create resource of organized, trained and motivated youth, to provide leadership in all walks of life and always available for the service of the nation.
To provide a suitable environment to motivate the youth to take up the career in the Armed Forces
Benefits of NCC:
‘C’ Certificate holders are exempted from written test for entry into I.M.A. and N.D.A.
Certificate holders get weightage in admissions and Govt. jobs. Some states like Maharastra, Tamil Naidu and Kerala also provide reservations of seats in admissions and govt. service.
Recently Reliance Industries have started recruiting ‘C’ Certificate holders as security officers in the security wings of their Industrial Establishments.
Sahara Group awards academic scholarships to meritorious cadets to the tune of Rs. One crore per annum.
Panjab University, Chandigarh and Panjabi University, Patiala give weightage in admissions to NCC Certificate Holders as under:
- ‘A’ Certificate 1%
- ‘B’ Certificate 2%
- ‘C’ Certificate 3%
[Extract from Punjab Government Gazette, dated the 5th February, 1965]
The 15th January, 1965
No. 4Ed. V-1483-64- in exercise of the pc wers conferred by the proviso to Article 309 of the Constitution for India and all other powers enabling him in this behalf, the Governor of Punjab is pleased to make the following rules regulating the recruitment and the conditions of service of persons appointed, to the Punjab Education Department (State Service Class III-N.C.C Cadre):-
PART I – GENERAL
Short, title commencement and application-(I) These rules may becalled the Punjab Education Department (State Service Class III-N.C.C. Cadre) Rules, 1964.
(2) They Shall come into force at once.
(3) They Shall apply to all the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’
2. Definitions- In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,-
1. ‘Board’ means the Subordinate Services Selection Board, Punjab:
2. Commission’ means the Punjab Public Service Commission,
3. Director means the Director of Public Instruction, Punjab or such other officer as may be authorized by the Government to exercise all or any of he powers of the Director under these rules;
4. Direct appointment’ means an appointment made by competitive selection and otherwise than by promotion within the cadre of the same service or by transfer of an official already in service of Government of India or of a State Government;
5. Government’ means the Punjab Government in the Administrative Department;
6. Recognized University’ means-
i. any university incorporated by law in any of the State of India; or
ii. in the case of degree; diplomas or certificates obtained as a result of examinations held before the 15th August, 1947, the Punjab, the Sindh or the Dacca University ; or
iii. any other university which is declared by the Government to be a recognized university for the purpose of these rules:
(g) ‘Service’ means the Punjab Education Department (State Service Class III- N.C.C. Cadre)
2. Number and character of posts- The service shall comprise the posts
shown in Appendix ‘A’ to these rules:
Provided that nothing in this rule shall effect the inherent right of Government to make additions to or reductions in the cadre of the Service whether permanently or temporarily.
2. Appointing authority-All appointments to posts in the Service shall be made by the Director.
1. Nationality, domicile character and age of candidates-(1) No person shall be appointed to the Service, unless he is-
1. a citizen of India, or
2. a subject of Sikkim, or
3. a subject of Nepal, or
4. a subject of Bhutan, or
5. Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st Jan. 1942, with the intention of permanently settling in India : or
6. A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan with the intention of permanently settling in India :
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (c), (d), (e), and (f) shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been given by the competent authority, and if he belongs to category (f) the certificate of eligibility will be issued for a period of one year, after which such a candidate will be retained in service subject to his having acquired India citizenship.
(2) A candidate in whose case a certificate or eligibility is necessary may be admitted to an examination or interview conducted by the Board, Commission or any other recruiting authority on his furnishing proof that he has applied for the certificate and he may also provisionally be appointed subject to the necessary certificate being given to him by the competent authority.
(3) No person shall be recruited to Service by direct appointment unless he-
(a) Produces a certificate of character from the principal, academic officer of the university college, school or institution last attended, if any, and similar certificates from two responsible persons not being his relations who are well acquainted with him in his private life and are unconnected with his university, college, school or institution;
(b) is more than 17 or less than 25 years of age, or such age as may from time to time be fixed by Government for the purpose:
Provided that in the case of ex-servicemen for appointment to the post of Lascar, the maximum age-limit shall be 40 years:
Provided further that the Director may in special circumstances to be
recorded in writing appoint person, who is more than 25 years or 40 years of age, as the case may be:
Provided further that the maximum age limit for members of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes or Backward Classes shall be such as may from time to tie be prescribed by the Government.
(4) No person, who has more than one wife living or is married to person who already has a wife living, shall be eligible for appointment to any post in the Service unless the Government after being satisfied that there are special grounds for doing so exempts such a person from the operation of this provision.
2. Method of appointment – Appointments to the posts in the Service shall be made-
1. in the case of Head Clerk
i. by promotion from amongst the Assistants:
Provided they have worked on the post of Assistant for a minimum period of four years ; or
ii. by transfer of an official already in the service of Government of India or of a State Government;
2. in the case of Assistant-
i. by promotion from amongst Accountants or Clerks:
Provided the Accountants have worked on the post of Accountant for a minimum period of two years and the clerks have worked on the post of Clerk or Accountant or both for a minimum period of 3 years; or
ii. by transfer of an official already in the service of Government of India or of a State government; or
iii. by direct appointment;
(c) in the case of Accountant-
by promotion from amongst Clerks; provided they have worked on the post of a Clerk for a minimum period of one year and have knowledge of accounts;
i. by transfer of an official already in the service of government of India or of a State Government; or
ii. by direct appointment
(d) in the case of Clerks-
by promotion from amongst Store keepers or Lascars :
Provided That (i) the Store-keepers have worked on the post of Store-keeper for a minimum period of one year; or
ii. The Lascars are Matriculates and have worked on the post of Lascar for a minimum period of three years and have qualified the departmental examination prescribed by the Director ;
iii. By transfer of an official already in the service of Government of India or of a State Government ; or
iv. By direct appointment
(e) in the case of Store-keeper-
i. by promotion from amongst the Lascars; provided they are Matriculates and have worked on the post of Lascar for a minimum period of two years ; or
ii. by transfer of an official already in the service of Government of India or of a State Government ; or
iii. by direct appointment
(f) in the case of Lascar-
i. by transfer of an official already in the service of Government of India or of a State Government;
ii. By direct appointment
(g) in the case of driver
i. by promotion from amongst lascars or class IV government employees working in the N.C.C. units: provided they are in possession of the civil driving licences and are able to drive heavy vehicles :or
ii. by transfer of an official already in the service of Government of India or of a state government :or
(iii) by direct appointment .
(h) in the case of aero-modeling instructor-cum –storekeeper-
i. by transfer of an official already in the service of a state Government or of the government of India :and
(ii) by direct appointment.
(i) in the case of Ship-Modelling Mechanic-
i. by transfer of an official already I the Service of Government of India or of India or of a Tate Government ; or
ii. by direct appointment
1. when any vacancy occurs or is about to occur in the Service, the appointing authority shall determine the manner in which the same shall be filled.
2. All promotions whether from one grade to another or from one class of Service to another shall be made by selection based on merit and taking into consideration seniority and seniority alone shall not give any right of appointment.
3. The posts in the Service shall be filled up in accordance with the following percentage :-
i. by Promotion ___________________ 75 percent.
ii. By direct recruitment and by transfer _______________ 25 per cent.
2. Educational Qualifications of Candidates – No person shall be recruited to the Service by direct appointment, unless in the case of appointment to the post of-
i. Assistant- he is a graduate of a recognized university and has qualified the Assistants Grade Examination of the Board.
ii. Accountant- he is a graduate of a recognized university preferably with accounts experience.
iii. Clerk- he is a Matriculate or has other equivalent or higher qualifications.
iv. Storekeeper- he is a Matriculate or possesses equivalent or higher qualifications; he should also possess elementary knowledge of stock-keeping and accounting.
v. Lascar- he should have passed the Middle Standard Examination or other equivalent or higher examination and should have knowledge of Hindi/Punjabi. In case of Ex-serviceman, the minimum educational qualification shall be 3rd Class Army Certificate of Education.
vi. Driver- he is in possession of a Civil Driving Licence and is also able to drive heavy vehicles.
vii. Aero-modelling Instructor- cum-Store-keeper.
(a) he is Matriculate;
(b) has minimum one year practical experience in Aero modeling with a recognized Aerc-modelling concern or institution;
(c) possesses elementary knowledge of stock keeping and accounting; and
(d) has the ability to impart theoretical knowledge and to demonstrate construction and actual flying of models.
8. Skip-modelling Mechanic-
1. he is a Matriculate:
2. has minimum one year practical experience in Ship-Modelling with a recognized Ship-Modeling concern or institution ; and
3. ability to impart theoretical knowledge and to demonstrate instruction of models.
Note:- other things being equal, preference will b3e given to a candidate who has worked for the cause of National Independence or has rendered some outstanding social or public service.
PART III- CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
2. Probation of members of service- (1) Persons appointed to the service shall remain on probation for period of two yeas, if recruited by direct appointment and one year if recruited otherwise.
(a) any period, after appointment to the service spent on deputation on a corresponding or a higher post shall count towards the period of probation fixed under this rule.
(b) in the case of appointment by transfer, any period of service spent on an equivalent or higher post, prior to appointment to the service, may at the discretion of Government be allowed to count towards the period of probation fixed under this rule ; and
3. an officiating appointment in the service shall be reckoned as period spent on probation by no member who has thus officiated shall, on the completion of the prescribed period of probation be entitled to be confirmed, unless he is appointed against a permanent post.
(2) if the work and conduct of a person appointed to the service during the period of
location is, in the opinion of appointing authority, not satisfactory, it may-
1. dispense with his services, if recruited by direct appointment : or
2. if recruited otherwise-
i. revert him to his former post ; or
ii. deal with him in such other manner as the terms and conditions of his previous appointment Permit.
(3) On the completion of the period of probation of a person, the appointing authority may-
1. if he was appointed against a permanent vacancy confirm such person from the date of his appointment, or from any date following such appointment from which permanent vacancy exist ; or
2. if there is no permanent vacancy declare that he has completed his probation satisfactorily ; or
3. if his work or conduct has, in its opinion, not been satisfactory, dispense with his services if recruited by direct appointment, or if recruited by direct appointment, or if recruited otherwise, revert him to his former post or deal with him within the terms and conditions of his previous appointment;
4. extend his period of probation and thereafter pass such orders as it could have passed on the expiry of the first period of probation.
Provided that the total of probation, including extension, if any , shall not exceed three years.
9. Seniority of Members of Service- The seniority inter se of members of the service shall be determined by the dates of their continuous appointment in the service:
Provided that in the case of members recruited by direct appointment, the order of merit determined by the Commission or the Board, shall not be disturbed and persons appointed as a result of a earlier selection shall be senior to those appointed as a result of subsequent selection:
Provided further that in the case of two or more members appointed on the same date, their seniority shall be determined as follows;-
1. A member recruited by direct appointment shall be senior to member recruited other wise
2. A member recruited by promotion shall be senior to member recruited by transfer;
3. In the case of members recruited by promotion or transfer, seniority shall be determined according to the seniority of such members in the appointments from which they were promoted or transferred ; and
4. In the case of members recruited by transfer from different cadres, their seniority shall be determined according to pay, preference being given to a member who was drawing a higher rate of pay in his previous appointment and if the rates of pay drawn are also the same, then by their length of service in those appointment, and if the length of such service is the same, an older member shall be senior to a younger member.
Note 1. This rule shall not apply to persons appointed on purely provisional basis pending their passing the qualifying test.
Note 2. In the case of members whose period of probation is extended under rule8, the date of appointment for the purpose of this rule shall be deemed to have been deferred to the extent the period of probation is extended.
10. Pay-Members of the Service shall be entitled to such scales of pay as may be authorized by Government from time to time. The scales of pay at present in force in respect of specified posts are given by appendix ‘A’ to these rules.
11. Liability to transfer –every member of the service shall be liable to transfer under the order of the Government anywhere within the state of Punjab or any other place under the administrative control of the Punjab Government .
12. Leave, pension ad other matters- in respect of leave ,pension and other cognate matters not expressly provided for in these rules the members of the service shall be governed by such rules and regulations as may have been may hereafter be framed by competent authority under Article 309 of the constitution of Indian or any law or rules made the reunder:
Provided that in the case of members of the service who were employees of erstwhite state of Patiala and east Punjab state union leave ,pension and other cognate matters shell unless Punjab rules are made applicable to them with their consent or in accordance with law be governed by the rules and regulations applicable to them immediately before the 1st November ,1956.
13. Discipline penalties and appeals –(1) In matters relating to discipline ,punishment and appeals members of the service shell be governed by the Punjab civil services (punishment and appeal) rules ,1952,as amended from time to time :
Provided that the nature of penalties which may be imposed the authorities competent to impose such penalties and appellate authorities shall be specified in appendix ‘B’ to these rules .
(2) The authority competent to pass an order under clauses © and (d) of sub –rule (1)of rule 10 of the Punjab civil service (punishment and Appeal) Rules ,1952 and the appellate authority shall also be as specified in appendix ‘c’ to these rules .
14. Liability for vaccination and re –vaccination –every member of the service shall get himself vaccinated or re –vaccinated when Government so directs by a special or general order .
15. Oath of allegiance –every member of the service unless he has already done so shall be required to take the oath of allegiance to India and to the Constitution of India as by law established.
16. Powers of relaxation- Where the Government is satisfied that the operation of any rule causes undue hardship in any particular case, it may by order dispense with or relax the requirements of that rule to such extent and subject to such conditions as it may consider necessary for dealing with the case in a just and equitable manner.
(see rule 1, 3 and 10)
[The Punjab Education Department (State Service Class III, N.C.C.,)]
No. Designation of Posts Number of Scale of Pay Posts
1. Head Clerks …..30 Rs. 150-10-200/10-300
2. Assistants …..16 Rs 106-6-160/8-200
3. Accountants …..32 Rs. 80-5-120/5-175
4. Clerks ...320 Rs. 60-4-80-5-120/5-175
5. Storekeeper ……1 Rs. 55-3-118/4-130
6. Lascars …441 Rs. 42 ½ -2-62 ½
7. Drivers …110 Rs. 60-3-90
8. Aero-modelling Instructor-cum-Storekeepers……..4 Rs. 110-4-150
9. Ship-modelling Mechanic ……1 Rs. 200-3-245-5-270
[See rule 13 (1)]
Designation of Nature of Penalty Authority empowered Appellate
Official to imposed penalty authority
1. 2 3 4
1. Head Clerk (a) Censure
2. Assistant (b) Withholding of incre- ments or promotions including stoppage at
3. Accountant an efficiency bar
4. Clerk (c) Reduotion to a lower post or time-scale or to a lower stage in a
5. Storekeeper time-scale
6. Lascar (d) Recovery from pay of the whole or part of any pecuniary Director Government
7. Driver loss caused to Government
8. Aero-modelling by negligence or breach of orders instructor-cum-Storekeeper
9. Ship Modelling (e) Suspension
Machine (f) Removal from the service of the State Government which does not disqualify for future employment
(g) Dismissal from the se vice of the State Government which ordinarily disqualifies for future employment.
[See rule 13 (2) ]
Designation Nature of order Authority competent to pass orders Appellate authority 1 2 3 4
1. Head Clerk (a) Reducing the maximum
2. Assistant pension admissible under the rules governing pensions
3. Accountant (b) Terminating the appointment
4. Clerk of member of the Service,
5. Storekeeper otherwise than upon his
6. Lascar reaching the age of
7. Driver superannuation Director Government
Education Commissioner and Secretary to
Government, Punjab, Education Department